New professions will continue to emerge in both the public and private sectors (public administration, security organisations, businesses and civil society) locally, nationally and globally. The new professions in security, safety and risk management require innovative in-depth knowledge and skills that are based on interdisciplinary approaches and methodologies. Organisations and enterprises need highly qualified professionals with a thorough understanding of security and safety management, safety engineering, risk management, governance and leadership.
SAFER responds to this demand by educating experts who specialise in either Safety Management and Engineering or Security Governance. Depending on their major, students graduate with the degree of Master of Science in Technology, MSc (Tech), or with a Masters Degree in Administrative Sciences, MSc (Admin). The two majors have their own admission and degree requirements. Apart from the majors, the programme mainly consists of joint courses. Students enrolled in SAFER can also choose courses across any of the faculties at Tampere University.
Structure of studies
When applying for the SAFER programme, you have to first choose which of the two majors you apply for.
- If you study Security Governance, you will gain the Master of Administrative Sciences degree.
- If you study Safety Management and Engineering, you will gain the Master of Science (Technology) degree.
The studies consist of
- Joint general courses for both majors, 20–23 ECTS
- Separate advanced courses for each major, 25 ECTS
- Elective courses by your personal choice, 40 ECTS
- Joint Master’s Thesis seminar, 5 ECTS
- Your personal Master’s Thesis, 30 ECTS
Teaching in SAFER is based on state-of-the-art multidisciplinary research that is organized around two research groups. You can find more information on the research activities, projects, publications and related events from their web pages:
33014 Tampere University
Phone: +358 294 5211 (switchboard)
City Center Campus: Pinni A building
Hervanta Campus: Festia B 2nd floor